They still exist in the Sauerland: small streets with little traffic. And curves, as much as the biker's heart desires. The region advertises with the slogan "Land of 1000 mountains". Of course they are not as high as in the Alps, but that doesn't stop the fun of driving. Hilly forest and meadow landscapes, a relatively low traffic density and the many reservoirs offer the best conditions for beautiful motorcycle tours.
The borders of the Sauerland are not exactly defined. Roughly speaking, it lies in the triangle between Kassel, Dortmund and Siegen. Most of it belongs to North Rhine-Westphalia, a small part to Hesse.
The best time to travel is from April to October.
The maximum speed is 50 km/h in urban areas, 100 km/h outside urban areas and 130 km/h on motorways.
Motorcyclists are not required to carry warning vests and first aid kits.
Interesting routes and destinations are among others:
- Kahler Asten, popular biker meeting place, with 841 m one of the highest mountains in Sauerland
- "Stavros Grill" at the Sorpesee, one of the most famous biker's meeting places of the region,
- Pumped storage plant Faulebutter, near Glinge
- Rhein-Weser-Tower near Oberhundem, with restaurant
- Ski hut Schanze near Schmallenberg
- Slate mining and local history museum in Holthausen - Venecia ice cream parlour on the Hochstraße in Bad Fredeburg
- Hennesee, beautiful place for breaks
- Airfield Schüren with Bistro Wolkenstürmer, very good homemade cake
- Veltins Brewery in Grevenstein (visit by appointment, without appointment only Tuesdays, 9.30 a.m.)
- Stalactite cave at the TF-Partnerhaus Hotel Haus Recke Hönnetal (4 €, free for guests)
- Wocklum Castle Equestrian Centre
- Luisen hut Balve-Wocklum
- Bruchhauser Stones
- Visitor mine Goldhausen
- Curiosum in Willingen
- and much more
specialities of the Sauerland cuisine:
- Potthucke (potato dish)
- Sauerland beef sausage, "Rinderpümmel" (beef puree)
- bone sausage
- Sauerland ham
- Sauerland beer
Villa Tummelchen Hotel Pension
The Hotel Villa Tummelchen*** is quietly situated at the foot of the Reichsburg Cochem and only a few metres from the city centre and the...zum Hotel
Paul and Silke Sauer welcome their guests in the romantic wine village of Enkirch an der Mosel. The steam mill is the ideal starting point for...zum Hotel
Hotel Zur Post
Landlord Klaus Berens has two passions. One is cooking, the other motorcycling. The small wine village of Klotten lies in the middle of a...zum Hotel
Winkelwerkstatt hotel & café
In the middle of Kröv, on one of the many curves along the Moselle, is the completely renovated "Winkelwerkstatt" of Elke Süwer. The new...zum Hotel
Nearby tours from the TF Tour Database
Land der tausend Berge nennen die Sauerländer ihre Heimat. Aber wer als Motorradfahrer herkommt, wird es wohl eher Land der tausend Kurven taufen.
More tours from the TF Tour Database
Articles in the region
Die Eifel – einfach nur Idyll und Fahrspaß oder tun sich hinter dieser Fassade Abgründe auf? Wenn man der Vielzahl an Eifel-Krimi-Literatur und sogar...
Auf erstaunliche Attraktionen in einem eher unspektakulären Landstrich stießen Sicco Pleuger (Text) und Markus Biebricher (Fotos) zwischen Teutoburger...